August 6, 2013

August Treats

I just read a blog post on someone's blog that on August first the weather shifts to being cooler. Well, around here the weather shifts too.

Shifts to the surface of the sun! We barely venture outside these days. Even our pool gets pretty warm, so it's best enjoyed in the evening, when the mosquitoes are out of course. Yesterday we had to get out for 2 hrs of dance classes, with part of it waiting in the car, and as soon as I got home I put together a simple and refreshing sorbet. I was blessed with an electric ice cream maker- the kind that has an insert that you put in the freezer, so there's no rock salt or anything to mess with.

I found this recipe and altered it a bit and it was a hit. Here is my version:

Lime Coconut Sorbet

1 Can Thai coconut milk, not lite verson
3/4-1 cup full fat plain greek yogurt (I used cabot brand)
1 cup of heavy cream
2 large limes
1/4 cup honey
3/4 sugar * I would have used all honey but I didn't have enough

Zest the limes and juice them, then whisk everything together in a big bowl. Pour into ice cream maker and turn it on. I let it go till about the consistency of soft serve ice cream, then poured it into a glass baking dish and put it in the freezer till after dinner. I also made some ginger spiced peaches to go with it, which everyone liked, but they told me they didn't like the ice cream and peaches together.

For the peaches:

5 very ripe peaches
1/2 cup combined honey and brown sugar
1/2 inch of fresh ginger root, sliced
1/f whole cinnamon stick
2 cups water

For the syrup, you mix the water, sugar, honey and spices, bring to a simmer and allow to simmer until the liquid is reduced by half. For the peaches, bring a pot of water to boil. Using a sharp knife, cut a small 'X' into the base of each peach. Put the peaches in the boiling water at least 1 minute, then remove with slotted spoon to cool. When cool enough, use the knife to peel the skin off. Then, slice or cut any way you like. When syrup is done, pour it over the peaches (strain spices) and stir. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. This would be good with vanilla ice cream or honey sweetened greek yogurt.

We are eating the ice cream leftovers now, and I think I'll put the leftover peaches into a coffee cake or something, or just eat it with the yogurt :)
Staying cool!

No comments: