August 11, 2008

Frugal Meals- baked ziti


Saturday I made baked ziti, or at least my version of it. It was frugal because someone gave me sauce and I made a meatless one. It's a lot like lasagna and since I have ABUNDANCE of fresh basil I added extra and it was yummy.

Baked Ziti

1lb penne pasta
1 large can/jar of spaghetti sauce
8-10 oz of cottage cheese
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
fresh herbs

First boil the pasta till just about done- still slightly chewy. Mix the cottage cheese with the fresh basil and salt and pepper. Drain noodles. Pour a little sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Put half of the pasta on top. Add more sauce to cover, top with the cottage cheese mixture, half the mozzarella, then pasta, rest of sauce and the rest of the cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes. I turned the broiler on for the last minute to brown the cheese.

I also steamed some fresh broccoli and topped with butter and seasonings and also made a loaf of garlic bread, which came from this recipe. I was going to make bread sticks but ran out of time- we were all starving!

1 comment:

Mrs J said...

I know this is an old post but I have to comment! This is very much like my Cheesy Pasta Bake but so much better!! Thanks for this post. I can already tell how much my family will be blessed by it!