September 12, 2008

Another budget meal

Yesterday I had scheduled to make a new recipe with a grain called millet. However I forgot to soak the grains the day before and couldn't find a good recipe and just plain got busy. So, I made a different plan. We ate roasted chicken on Wednesday, and after we were done I put the carcass in a stock pot with water and started simmering it that evening, turned it off before bed, then turned it back on the next morning and simmered it all day long.

What was left was about a gallon of chicken broth and some leftover meat. I decided to make a chicken pot pie gravy and serve it on top of biscuits.

Chicken Gravy

1/2 to whole onion chopped
2 carrots chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
3 T butter
3 T flour
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup milk
herbs for seasoning- I used thyme and herb de provence
frozen green peas
1-2 cups cooked chicken


Melt the butter in a large deep skillet or pot and add the chopped veggies and herbs. When veggies are softened and semi cooked add the flour and cook at least a minute. Slowly add the chicken stock, allowing it to thicken after each addition of liquid. Then add the milk. When it has thickened to your liking, add the chicken and peas. Season with salt and pepper.

Any biscuit recipe will do, but this is what I use.

2 cups flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1 T baking powder
1 T sugar
1 stick of butter, or combo of butter and lard
2/3 cup buttermilk (mine is really thick like yogurt since i make it and I add a little milk to moisten it better)


Mix dry ingredients well with fork/spoon/mixer. Cut butter in chunks and cut into flour mixture. When it resembles coarse meal and butter is thoroughly mixed in, add the liquid until you have a slightly sticky dough that pulls together. I just pull off pieces of dough and form it in my hand, then place it in a greased pie plate. I usually get about 8-10 medium/large biscuits. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or lightly browned on top. The homemade buttermilk makes all the difference!


I served this meal with leftover mashed potatoes and a spinach salad that had red onion, carrots and diced apples in it. Then I made a dijon vinegarette(sp?) - 1 t dijon mustard, 1 t honey, 2 T apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper- blend with whisk, then slowly add 3-4T olive oil. Pour on top of salad and toss to coat.

Ever since the spinach contamination back in 2006 I don't buy it very much. I avoided it for so long that I just don't think about buying it anymore! But I really don't have anything to worry about because first of all, we pray over all of our food, and, we eat lots of probiotics that will keep the bad bacterias from hurting us. Apple cider vinegar can kill it too.

***To anonymous, I will take a picture of my 'tater box for you later.

No comments: