September 22, 2009

Goodies to Come!

Sorry I've been missing. I had all four children by myself Friday and Saturday and have had zero time on the computer since then as well. At 5am this morning, while feeding the baby by candlelight, (power went out) I thought up a blog post!

My mom went on a shopping trip this weekend and of course, instead of buying something for herself, she buys for all the grandkids and kids, which includes me :) This is what she got for me:



I am loving this book. Not only are there loads of great looking recipes, and they're from generations of women passed down, but they're based on basic pantry ingredients. There are recipes in there from the Great Depression, War time, the turn of the century, late 1800s etc. The recipes can be made with staples- flour, sugar, eggs, butter, leavening, cocoa powder etc. and sometimes nuts or chocolate. Many times I will want to make something, but it calls for stuff I don't keep on hand or is a little expensive. (like marshmallows or evaporated milk or butterscotch chips)

So, in order to properly use this book, I think I will start a weekly blog post of a new recipe to try and how it came out. That way you can have the recipes for 'free' :) I am actually thinking of doing a 'virtual' tea party as well with some treats someday. Fun idea huh? Stay tuned to see what I'm going to try out today, which will be from the pantry since I'm getting low on ingredients.

*********************************************************************************

Okie doke, I'm finally updating here. The day I wrote the post was crazy, but I managed to bake a cake and some bread somewhere in there. I just made my regular bread recipe, which I have missed, and it turned out great! See!


I always forget to slash the loaves before baking, then they rise really high and rip open a bit. Makes it hard to slice.

So, I made the Sour Cream Spice Cake recipe from my new book. It was easy and relatively frugal. However, it's not really a cake, but more like a quickbread. It wasn't the best for dessert, but it was wonderful for breakfast the next morning! Just the right amount of sweetness, and if I'd used healthier ingredients, it would be a great breakfast 'cake'.

Just out of the oven, no sugar.

After it cooled, dusted with powdered sugar and ready to serve to the fam.



The Fam awaiting their treat :)


The Recipe for Sour Cream Spice Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups of flour, divided
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1 t cloves
1 t allspice
1 t baking soda
1 cup raisins (I used golden)
1/2 c butter
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 cup sour cream (I used homemade cream cheese from yogurt)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in the middle of the oven. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with wax paper and grease with butter or vegetable spray. Dust pan with flour and tap out excess. (I forgot this step and it was ok)

Sift together 1 3/4 cups of flour, the spices and baking soda. Toss 1/4 cup flour with the raisins. Cream together butter and sugar until soft and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla mixing well. Add the dry ingredients alternately with sour cream. Fold in raisins and 'plop' batter into pan.
Bake approximately 1 hour or until the a knife or toothpick tested in the center of the cake comes out clean.

This would be great with some sweetened cream cheese spread on the slices. I was going to do that, but we ate it all before I could!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a cool cookbook. I may pick that one up sometime. :-)

Kat said...

Oooooooo. I'll have to see if that book is at my library.

Saved Sinner said...

That sounds very cool - I look forward to your posts about it.

Unknown said...

That looks like a wonderful cookbook. I love cookbooks and have a lot of them. I may need to add that one to my collection. I am so looking forward to your post on the recipes in it.
:)

Sherah said...

I love cookbooks with staple ingredient recipes and frugal ones too! I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the recipes. Also - did you ever happen to send the mother's milk tea? I'm getting low and thought I would order some more if you decided not to send it. Just let me know, and thanks! =)