August 22, 2009

No looking back

There hasn't been much time for blogging lately. My second daughter became ill the other night, and our new baby kept me up for most of that night too just being cute and awake :) My head is definitely spinning with everything that is happening right now. I don't feel like myself yet.

My mind keeps going back to what my 'old self' was, like before I was pregnant and we lived in that rent house by the swimming pool. (there are pictures of that house somewhere on the blog) I was super lady! Strong, healthy, in control, juggled many projects like making quilts etc. I tend to want that back.

But God has been reminding me not to look back. That was a good time- a faith building season of our lives that He used us in other people's lives directly. But that time is over and we are in a new place. We have literally started over.

We live in a new town, in a new house that is our own now. We have a new baby, our oldest children will be attending school, and little Sarah is really growing up too. Nothing is the same as it was and won't be. We're like a new family now. For awhile my main focus will be just trying to keep up with basics- meals, cleaning, laundry, getting everyone to the right places, baby care, not to mention continuing on with unpacking things that I haven't gotten to yet and organizing it all.

I had to be extremely frugal in my super lady days- everything from scratch. Now I don't, and frankly, not a lot I cook these days is from scratch. I will do better, and I really really miss cooking right. I look forward to sourdough bread again and homemade sauerkraut and raw milk :) We will be getting chickens in the future, and you can be sure we'll have a big garden next year.

I can look back fondly and wish I could be that person again, but that's not what God wants for me. He wants me to embrace the new and allow Him to take me through whatever process to grow more. It's better to not be Martha, serving the Lord but needing everything to be perfect. It's better to have a little dirt on the floor and some sticky surfaces and some overflowing dishes and laundry, so you can spend time in the presence of God.

For someone seriously sleep deprived, I still have some good thoughts huh? LOL! It's all God- in times that I feel really stretched and stressed, He puts new songs in my head of praise to Him and victory and that He's taking care of us. Or bring someone by that can uplift and encourage me, or I'll find something on the Christian channels that perfectly speak to me.

Baby Samantha is getting pudgy! She has lost that newborn wrinkled look and is filling out. I guess if I were eating a full meal every two hours and sleeping all day I'd get chubby too! She is so sweet and so cute. When she's awake she just looks around and tries to eat whatever is close to her mouth. Yesterday I had her resting on my shoulder while I was getting her bottle, and she started sucking on my cheek! Funny girl...new pictures to come.

5 comments:

liz from new york said...

i was away on vacation...CONGRTULATIONS...she's a beauty! i guess there is wisdom in the saying, to only take one day, even one hour at a time..when you spell it all out, it sure does look overwhelming! so dont stress, you will do what NEEDS to be done every day, never mind the rest, no one ever croaked from mac and cheese in the box for a few weeks!

Danielle said...

I can so understand your position and thoughts. We have similar stations in life, you and I. I just had my 3rd child 5 months ago, 3rd c-section, 1st one planned and frankly, my best birthing experience. We cloth diaper most times but not all. We try to eat well most times, but not all and I'm on my own journey of getting back into shape after baby. I look forward to getting to know you better through your blog! Feel free to visit mine.

Another Beautiful Day said...

Jessica,
I understand what you're saying. My husband and I moved 7 hours away from both of our families and that year I had to have a hysterectomy (SP??) Our lives changed so much my husband was in school to be a pastor he is now out and working 3 jobs to support us. I'll be praying for you and your family. I pray you have a great week. I've enjoyed you blog I'm so glad I found it. Please try and get some rest. Everything looks different when we are sleep deprived.
In Christ,
Cristal in Florida
Wife to David
Mom to six super children.

~Bren~ said...

I did not quilt when my grown boys were little, but when I adopted Zach, I did not quilt for 2 years!!! You will get to be super lady again some day....this is your season to be Mommy and nothing more than Mommy! It will be so short lived...please do not wish it away!

Sherah said...

"I can look back fondly and wish I could be that person again, but that's not what God wants for me. He wants me to embrace the new and allow Him to take me through whatever process to grow more. It's better to not be Martha, serving the Lord but needing everything to be perfect. It's better to have a little dirt on the floor and some sticky surfaces and some overflowing dishes and laundry, so you can spend time in the presence of God."

I just wanted to say that this brought tears to my eyes. It is SO MUCH what I needed to hear this morning! The baby (7 weeks now) has been so high maintenance lately and last night she cried so much I didn't know what to do - it's such a helpless feeling. Today, going on very little, interrupted sleep I have to take the four younger ones (5,3,1,newborn) to the store, take all 7 to the doctor's with me after school, and then put on a birthday party for my 7 year old tonight. I am utterly exhausted and my house is not up to parr with my "old days" of being super lady. Everything clean, exercise done, shower every day, meals from scratch...well, DUH I was getting a good night's sleep and had less children!

Anyway, I am thankful for my new family as well, the "new" normal and to realize that it is never going to be like it was exactly before, again. But it will be a new better! Just one day at a time. No, scratch that. One hour at a time. One 10-minute increment at a time. =)