April 8, 2008

Dee-licious!

This morning I made a super yummy breakfast that could serve as dessert, a snack or whatever you want. And yes, it is healthy :)

For 1-2 people, or a few children, you need:

1 medium-large navel orange
2-3 T whole milk yogurt
2-3 T creme fraiche or sour cream
1 t honey, preferably raw
1 t vanilla extract
sprinkle of cinnamon

Cut the peel off the orange- I cut of the stem ends, then turn to one of the now trimmed and flat sides, then use the knife to cut downwards and get all the peel off. You end up with a whole peeled orange. Cut into bite size chunks, place in bowl and drizzle with honey.

Take the yogurt and cream and blend together with the vanilla extract. Pour on top of oranges. Sprinkle on the cinnamon. Eat it up :)

I am thinking this would be good with any fruit. I plan to put fresh pineapple and berries on the grocery list this week. This is an enzyme rich breakfast with the raw fruit, if you have raw honey and cultured dairy. Fruit is excellent for breakfast- it digests easily and is quickly absorbed for energy. Usually it will digest within an hour if eaten alone.

I have been working harder to put only whole foods into my body. Drawing from what I know of eating healthy and how I lost weight before, eating raw fruit for breakfast makes sense. Yesterday I just ate half a pink grapefruit and kefir. Then later I ate some soaked oatmeal with honey and cream. I was full for a long time! And I'm just going with what I feel like eating. My body seems to be wanting healthier foods. I haven't drank my decaf coffee in several days now, and only drank about two ounces of tea this morning.

Yesterday I had to go to the direct care clinic because my ankle started hurting and swelling for no apparent reason. After two weeks of pain I figured I better get it checked out. Anyways, after an x-ray, they just think it's from an old injury flaring up and me not wearing supportive shoes. (yes,yes I know, flip flops aren't the best) BUT, the doctor told me that my weight was just too much for my ankle. How humbling is that? He told me that according to my height of 5'9, my weight should be around 150lbs!!!!!! That means I would have to lose 100lbs. I'm sorry, but just looking at me, I don't need to lose 100lbs. Even at my fittest in highschool, when I was all muscle, I weighed 190lbs. That's just how I am.

Anyways, it was a rather depressing ride home, wondering how in the world am I going to lose this weight? A typical doctor will tell me to cut carbs and eat low fat products. I know that low fat is a myth and good quality properly treated whole grains are good for us. Plus it's better for our food budget. I know that Nourishing Traditions is right; the Holy Spirit is guiding me and things just feel right in that area. Exercise has been hard- my workout tapes require some equipment I don't have yet and finding a good time of day to do it and be consistent is a challenge. I may need to find a good double stroller or triple stroller, lol, and workout that way.

Anyways, sorry to ramble. I have asked the Lord for help, and I believe that He will show me what to do. So, I'm not going to worry about it. I didn't gain all my weight because I sat around and pigged out- I had 4 pregnancies in three years and my body just held onto the extra weight for some reason. I actually lost weight in my last pregnancy!

Anyways, that's what I'm doing now. Hopefully my body will continue to crave healthy things :)

4 comments:

Joy Comes in the Morning said...

Don't you just hate those weight charts. They just don't work on everyone. If I were 150 I would look like I were 110. Some people's bodies are different. My dh weighed 170 when he had hodgkins and he looked horrible. Just by looking at him you could tell he had something going on with his body. The kicker is he is suppose to weigh 160!!!!! His doctor told him no way. She said just to keep it about 210 and he will be fine. He has about 30 lbs to loose:)_ We won't go into my weight as I maybe in a delicate manner:) Let's just say I feel your pain.LOL

Tereza said...

That must have felt like a slap in on the face!:(
I hope you can loose some weight without having to go an a crash diet! I hate dieting!

Anonymous said...

150 at 5 foot 9?!!! That's crazy! You saw how I have no weight problems, and I weigh 150, and I am only 5 foot 5! Sheesh...

150 at 5 foot 9 sounds awefully light to me. My size 6s fit me wonderfully at 150 and 5 foot 5.

Blended in Texas said...

I really, really believe people just weigh differently (duh, I know). What I mean is there are some of us that weigh in heavier then we look and some of us who weigh in less that what we look. In fact I'm like you- I weigh more then what I look. I would go more by how you feel and not by how much you weigh. I don't even weigh myself anymore. We have a scale but I haven't used it in months. I was becoming too obsessed with the numbers I was seeing. I would seriously fluctuate sometimes 5 lbs (up or down) in a matter of a day! It was unreal! Keep up the good work! Don't let the numbers get you down! 'Cause really that's all they are- numbers!