March 9, 2009

Do what you want to do

A week or so ago I asked a question about staying motivated as a housewife/homemaker. Lately I had just been feeling very, small and insignificant. It wasn't apparent I was doing a whole lot to further the kingdom of God when my big weekly accomplishment was getting all the laundry done.

But as I was pondering it, I started thinking that whatever is most important to you, you will find a way to do it. For instance, if gratifying self is the top priority, you will find a way to make it happen. People will do what they want to do. If my husband were a football fanatic, he would find a way to make time to watch it. If I am greatly desiring to exercise daily, if it's my passion, I'm going to find a way to do it.

So, if I truly do desire to be the best at what I'm doing, for the Lord, then I will look forward to each day and what it will bring. I will look forward to the cooking, cleaning, laundry, organizing etc. if that is my greatest desire. This really changed how I viewed my life. Being selfish hurts me the most, because I end up feeling condemnation for what I haven't been doing.

I admit, it's still hard for me to get excited about doing the laundry. I just don't enjoy folding up all the little girls' pieces of clothing. I do like hanging it outside though, but right now no clothesline. It's hard for me to get excited about doing the dishes and cleaning up the toys, again. But, it is nice to have order and be prepared for the next day.

I have organized my week better.

Monday is a catch up day. I work on the laundry, pick up around the house, do anything that's majorly dirty or out of order, and hopefully, change the sheets.

Tuesday is like a 'free' day where I can work on sewing projects, I make out the weekly menu and grocery list, etc.

Wednesday I buy groceries and that usually wipes me out :) Especially with the kids...but, I can generally manage to have time to sew or something.

Thursday is baking day and clean something in the kitchen.

Friday I clean the house- mop, vacuum, dust, bathrooms, maybe outside

I have the usual morning routine of cleaning the kitchen, starting laundry, cleaning up bedrooms etc. Then I work on the day's work.

I have an evening routine and rarely follow it. Life would be much nicer if I would. I need to make sure the dishes are done, set up breakfast and Leiah's lunch for the next day, tidy the house and set out clothes, but, 3 out of 5 days I fall asleep on the couch :)

Anyways, I just wanted to say that many times we just need to readjust our thoughts. God obviously designed me for this role, therefore I need to give it my all. Someday He may have something different in mind, but right now, He deems this important work, so I need not get so discouraged. I can be fulfilled at home if I put my mind to it.

3 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

I honestly dont like to go to bed at night because I always want it to be the next day! LOl I love all the routine housecleaning and homeschooling chores but I think it all came along with age. I am just very, very, content with life the last few years.

Good luck as you get organized and pray over every little piece of toddler and baby clothes. You have no idea how soom this time passes!

Sonja said...

I agree what you said. My step-sister says to me all the time, "Doing and saying are two different things." LOL. Sometimes I think I'm just lazy, or just selfish when I have things I 'need' to do...and I'd rather get online, play a computer game, etc...

And I too do not ever follow my evening routine. It seems like something always pops up. I keep trying though! :)

Good luck with all that you have coming up in the next few months to prepare for your new baby.

vehementflame said...

I hate doing laundry. I don't mind the washing and dryin, but foldin- yuck. and puttin away - worse. And I always zonk out while i'm puttin baby nite nite. I hate it cause then i don't get dinner dishes cleaned up and stuff- I love having clean dishes in the morning- but I'm so tired at night...I had to do the same thing- make up a schedule- and it helped a whole lot- but I think you're right - it's the mind set that has got to change...