March 31, 2009

Great recipe source

Wow, I was so tired yesterday! I didn't get as much organizing done as I wanted, but I still got a lot done. I conked out on the couch last night, barely woke up to go to the bed and slept through a big storm! So did the kids, so we were all tired I guess! Although, I almost never wake up during storms- always been that way.

I want to brag on my hubby. Last night after dinner I was feeling pretty worn down with all that I had to do yet- clean up the kitchen including unloading the dishwasher, my least favorite chore; get everyone bathed and ready for bed and get them to clean up their messes. So he jumped up and started cleaning the kitchen for me, I helped a bit and was able to reclaim enough energy to get everything else done easily :) This morning we kind of got up late and instead of taking his beloved shower he ran and got my daughter's lunch and breakfast made while I got her dressed. Awww...


Alrighty, I wanted to talk about this little magazine my mom gets- "Everyday Food" by Martha Stewart. Yes Martha is a little strange and used to be too perfect, but since her recent paradigm shift in life (i.e. prison experience) she has loosened up a lot :) Just watch her new show and see.

Anyways, I love the recipes in this little book because they are so simple and generally easy. And lately, I need lots of help when it comes to cooking- my brain is just blank! I am looking at the March issue and have already planned to make some recipes. Here are a few that sound good to me:

Chicken with Artichokes and Angel hair

salt and pepper
1/4 cup flour
8 thin chicken breast cutlets
2 T olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
1 can artichoke hearts packed in water
2 T rinsed and drained capers
2 T butter
8oz angel hair pasta
1/2 cup parsley

Season chicken, dredge in flour, sautee in olive oil over medium-high heat 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to dish, then add broth and bring to a boil, cook until reduced by half. Add artichokes, capers and the chicken with any juices. Swirl to combine, then add butter.

Cook pasta, arrange chicken on top and sprinkle with parsley.

(I'm not really familiar with artichokes and capers, but I've had them and do like them, plus it just rings a bell for some reason)



One more...

Southern Mac and Cheese

1 T melted butter, plus more for dish
1/2lb elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
2 large eggs
1 cup half and half
1 garlic clove, minced
2 slices bread, torn

(I will double this recipe since this is just for 4 people and we like leftovers)

Get a large pot of salted water boiling, add macaroni. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter your baking dish. Undercook pasta 3 minutes and drain.

In a large bowl, whisk the cheese, eggs, half and half, garlic, 1/2 t salt and pepper. Add pasta and combine, pour in dish. Pulse bread and melted butter in food processor; season with salt and pepper. Top pasta mixture with 1/2 cup cheddar and the bread crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden and bubbling. Let stand 5 minutes and serve.


Ok, one more, a neat dessert!


Fudgy Skillet Brownies

1 1/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 t salt
4 T butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
8oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, whisk sugar and eggs. In another bowl mix flour,salt, sugar and cocoa.

In a medium oven proof skillet, bring butter and cream to a simmer over medium. Add chocolate and reduce to medium-low heat. Cook until chocolate is melted, remove from heat to cool 5 minutes. Add chocolate mixture to sugar whisking until blended. Fold in flour mixture and pour batter into skillet. Bake until toothpick in serted in center comes out clean, 40 minutes.

(not exactly easier than regular brownies, but interesting)


Anyways, most of the recipes are healthy, but not usually frugal. They do use good quality ingredients, which makes a big difference. Example- the last time I bought olive oil, I got a good organic one, for just a couple of dollars more, and it tastes much better. Lemon juice and olive oil on salad tastes great to me, whereas before, not so much. I have also been buying organic salad greens, the spring mix ones, and they taste a lot better as well- not so wild/weed tasting :)

No comments: