July 9, 2009

My Easiest Meal

I'm sure we all have those quick, no brainer back up meals for when we just can't think of what to make for dinner. For me, cooking used to be a joy. Now I have to figure out how to cook foods my whole family will really enjoy, as some are a little picky. And honestly, I just haven't been all that interested...too many other things going on :)

One meal we all love, especially the pickiest one, is this:

bbq chicken drumsticks
oven fries
raw veggies


All I do is lay the chicken on a sheet pan, salt and pepper it, put it in the oven on 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Then I start basting them with prepared bbq sauce- 10 minutes later it's done.

For the fries I scrub several potatoes- 5 good sized ones. Then I cut them in half long ways, then slice those into planks, then into sticks. Lay them on another sheet pan, salt and pepper and I add garlic powder, toss with olive oil, and slide into oven on same temp. for 30 minutes or until crispy and partially browned.

Raw veggies- this is usually cole slaw, but the cabbages at the grocery store looked terrible. Since I have an abundance of fresh tomatoes, I sliced two big ones. That's it. Everyone had seconds.

I even made a dessert. I sliced strawberries and some ripe peaches and tossed with a few tablespoons of sugar. I let that sit an hour or so. When time to serve, I took my homemade creme fraiche, mixed it with some honey and vanilla extract, and added a dollop on top of each serving of fruit. YUM!!!

No comments: