November 19, 2007

Blessed Schedule

Last week was so chaotic, I didn't see how I was going to manage with all of my children at home with me. A long time ago I purchased Candy's e-book for making a home management binder, and she has lots of detail on making a master schedule.

I have never really been a scheduled person- I'm very 'fly by the seat of my pants'-ish. However this will not work for our current situation. So Friday I moved all the toys with pieces, like puzzles, blocks, crayons, potato head etc. to the kitchen in the large cupboards that just had random items in there. Saturday I put together a master schedule, cleaning plan and menu plan that would hopefully be something I could stick to.

Well, so far things have gone so well! I am dumbfounded. I've always had a hard time keeping the kids occupied, but by moving all those toys to the kitchen and including them in my work, things have been going very well. The kids have just sailed along happily, with no mention of watching TV. We don't have it constantly on anymore- just a few short videos here and there.

I will give a basic rundown of what we're doing:

6am- I get up and will alternate Bible study and exercise on different days of the week
6:45- I get dressed, make bed and tidy room, start laundry
7am-make breakfast and dh's lunch
Get Leiah and Alexa, get them dressed and tidy room
Then I get Sarah and change her diaper
7:30 breakfast and read a Psalm
clean up- Leiah wipes the table, Alexa brings dishes to sink
8:00 Get Sarah dressed, brush everyone's hair and teeth, check laundry
Start crockpot if necessary, set meat to thaw etc.
8:30 Begin 'school'- today we did puzzles, coloring, play-do, a number worksheet and the speech video
9:00 I had planned to break and do some cleaning, but they were really into play-doh, I did some cleaning
9:30 Kid's help with chores (we did dusting, wiping appliances/surfaces, clean screens and mirrors)
10:00 snack time, I continue with cleaning
a little more school
Sarah in playpen while I finish mirrors, Alexa in playroom, Leiah with me
Fold and put away laundry
11:00 make lunch- we ate tuna sandwiches, pretzels and oranges
11:30 eat lunch, then clean up
'free time'
12pm read out loud time- I tried to read Little House in the Big Woods- they weren't cooperating
Sarah takes a nap
12:30 continue with reading or a short video
1pm naptime for the other two, I will work on sewing, meal prep, whatever, or resting myself!
3pm naps over for older two- snack, then work on craft or more worksheets
3:30 Sarah up, snack
outside play or' PE' if possible
4pm- finish up any chores/laundry
kids at table with activity
4:30 work on dinner/cleaning up kitchen
Kids can watch a video or free play
5pm tidy the house
5:30 kids eat if fussy, if not we can play a game or read
6pm dinner
6:30 clean up-kids help
7pm family time
7:30 baths and bedtime routines
8pm bedtime for kids
free time for me and dh
9:00 tidy up and do any prep for the next day's meals
9:30 get ready for bed- bath/shower etc.
10pm bedtime


These are the goals anyways. I had scheduled outside time mid-morning too, but it didn't work out today- I'll just stay flexible.

And here's the broccoli salad recipe- it really is good!

"Favorite Broccoli Salad"

1 bunch broccoli florets
1 head cauliflower florets (I omitted this)
8 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
1/3 c chopped onion ( I used red onion)
1 c chopped seeded tomatoes
2 hard cooked eggs (I omitted this too)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 c sugar
2 T apple cider vinegar

In a large salad bowl, combine broccoli, cauliflower, bacon, onion, tomatoes and eggs; set aside. In another bowl mix the mayo, sugar and vinegar and mix till smooth. Just before serving pour dressing over salad and toss.

*Note: Once I made this in advance with the dressing on it and it still tasted good- not sure why you're supposed to do it separately.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blessed schedule is right! I'm new to the home binder/blessed schedule concept but it seems to be working our house. Seems to keep you on track, even when everything feels like it is falling apart!

Rachel said...

I have routines I do each day. My work load varies greatly each day with no advanced warning, so I'm pretty flexible. Kids do much better on schedules - just knowing what is expected and what to expect helps them tremendously.

I had a routine for decorating/holiday but each year is so different with time constraints, etc. that I kinda wing it. Though I do make list of what I must do and divy it up so I do a little each day and as much in advance as possible. It seems to work for me :)

Serenity Now said...

mmmm, I love that broccoli salad! I forget about it, but you just reminded me how yummy it is. The only difference with mine is that instead of tomatoes it calls for shredded sharp chedder cheese (so good!) and instead of apple cider vinegar, it's red wine vinegar. I think next time I might try it with the apple cider though, sounds yummy!