November 6, 2007

Health Challenge

I am joining Lori and some others for a 6 week Health Challenge. I listed six things I wanted to work on during this time in order to get healthier. Even though I know a lot about being healthy, that doesn't mean I always practice what I 'preach'. I needed to lessen the amount of sugar in my diet, up the water intake and fresh veggies/fruits.

The past week or so I've been feeling like I needed to go on a raw food 'fast'. Raw fruits and veggies clean out and rebuild the body, as well as provide the enzymes we need in our stomach and pancreas to digest our food. They are also the food the healthy bacterias (probiotics) need to live and colonize in our guts.

So, last night I went to the store and loaded up on the produce. As I was going to sleep I prayed that God would help me to not be craving all the things I wasn't going to eat and that my body wouldn't detox too badly. This morning I wasn't really hungry at all and wasn't craving my coffee. I made the girls an egg and toast, and I blended up berries, a banana and some apple juice in the blender for Matt and I.

I've been trying to eat something before I get really hungry so I won't 'cave' :) So far I've eaten the smoothie, an orange, a banana, a cookie crumb (haha) and a huge salad with a garlic dressing. Wow was it hot! Oh well, it's so good for me and I added extra to the dressing.

I am planning to just keep snacking on fruits and veggies this afternoon. I've also been drinking a lot of water and having to go to the bathroom a lot! My plan is to make something more substantial for dinner, but still vegetable based.

Our dinner plans:

Tuesday: Me, black bean, corn, avocado salad (with tomatoes and other veggies)
Kids- homemade mac and cheese with kosher beef hot dogs, baby carrots
Wednesday: Me- butternut squash soup, salad
Kids- tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwiches
Thursday: Me- salad with cheese and hard boiled egg- although I will be in town, may eat out
Kids- tuna casserole, broccoli
Friday: baked potato, salad
Kids- BBQ meatballs, mashed potatoes, green beans
Saturday- we all eat egg casserole and fruit salad

Anyways, the plan is to eat this way through Saturday, but we'll see what happens. Then I will add in grains and more protein, but still try to keep things very simple. Hopefully I can re-train my taste buds to enjoy these things more.

Today I haven't done a lot. I've been sleepy and have just been doing the basics as far as house cleaning. Plus I cleaned like a maniac this weekend- so I'm taking a break and not feeling guilty at all.

No comments: