November 27, 2007

How to Use up Leftovers

Wow did I get creative this year with using up the leftovers. I was thinking over everything I had 'recycled' last night and started laughing.

Friday night, after our dinner, I picked off all the large bits of turkey meat and put the carcass in a pot and covered with water. Then I simmered it all evening, turned it off for the night, then simmered it all day Saturday. I strained it and put in the fridge.

Yesterday morning I made my husband three turkey sandwiches on leftover rolls, and I also had a turkey sandwich. For breakfast yesterday I took the leftover mashed potatoes, added an egg, some flour and a bit more salt, then dropped dollops of the mix into a hot buttered skillet. We had this with turkey ham and raisin toast- so much turkey!

For dinner I sauteed carrots, onion, garlic, celery and carrots, added the turkey stock and the leftover turkey and some seasonings, and that was dinner.

For breakfast this morning, I crumbled up all the leftover rolls, layered half in the bottom of a 9x13 pan, then layered chopped granny smith apples, the leftover Jamaican cranberry sauce, a little extra cinnamon and brown sugar, then the rest of the bread. I mixed 3 eggs and 1.5 c of half and half and a drop of vanilla extract together, then poured over the bread. (I had to add some milk too to cover the bread) Then I baked it covered with foil for about 30 minutes, then uncovered it and baked it about 15 more minutes. Drizzle with maple syrup.

Now, I have leftover stuffing, but I have no idea how to use that up. I probably need to chunk it now :)

2 comments:

Whitney Brents said...

That's sounds amazing!! Great job! Very creative!

gentlebreeze said...

The stuffing could be the top of a casserole...with cheese on top:)
I love how thanksgiving is a big deal in the states:) Where I live it's a minor holiday...Halloween is like 3 times as big!UGH!