January 10, 2008

In My Kitchen

Today I started snapping pictures of our meals and how I prepare them. We didn't have a 'normal' day, but I decided to start anyways.

So welcome to my kitchen. This is where I do most of my meal prep- my flour/sugar canisters, spices, baking items and mixer are all accessible, as well as bowls and measuring spoons in the cupboards and drawers below the counter.

I started our breakfast last night. I mixed 3 cups rolled oats, 1 cup kefir, 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 t salt, 1 t cinnamon all together before bed. I covered it with a towel and let it sit until morning, which was 6:30 am.

Preheat oven and mix in 1/2 c brown sugar or honey, (I did sugar this time) 2 eggs, 1 t baking soda, 2 t cream of tartar, and I added dried cranberries and dates, about 1/8th cup of each.

Grease a baking pan ( I used a round cake pan) and smooth mixture into it. Pop it into the oven for about 30 minutes.
Time to check on my yogurt- it has set so I put it in the fridge. More about that later.

I also got my sourdough starter out and fed it. Then I checked the kefir and kombucha. Everything is looking good.

Time for breakfast. The girls eat their baked oatmeal with drizzled raw honey. I eat it with my homemade yogurt with a little drizzle of honey.



We were at my mom's house for lunch and while the girls were taking naps, I made me some garlic tea. I have some allergy/sinus stuff going on and it finally got bad enough for me to do something about it. I chopped a clove of garlic and put in the infuser in that yellow mug. Then I added boiling water. Before I drink it I will add some apple cider vinegar and honey. Not terribly, but not wonderful. It does help though. While that was steeping I drank a packed of vitamin C.

Then I made some sourdough bread. Leiah woke up and played at the sink for awhile while I made bread. I use about 2/3 whole wheat flour to 1/3 unbleached all purpose flour. The starter I have was already 'white' so for now I'm keeping it that way.


Ok, here the bread dough is ready for kneading. Kneading bread dough is one of my favorite things!

I got my rolling pin and rolled it into a sort of rectangle, then rolled it up like cinnamon rolls and put in my greased loaf pan. Unfortunately I forgot about it and it overflowed the pan! So I punched it down and it rose again even faster!!! Luckily I caught it before it overflowed, and now I'm waiting for it to bake. It might look weird.

This week I have not gone to the grocery store yet to buy all of our food. I've picked up a few things here and there, but just haven't had the time to get it all. So I revamped our leftovers from last night. We ate grilled chicken fajitas last night and we had one large chicken breast left and some sauteed peppers and onions.

So I chopped more onion and garlic (chopping garlic sure clears the nose!) threw it in my pot with some olive oil. I let it cook for a few minutes before I put a little over a cup of brown rice in there. I let it cook for a bit before adding the rest of the ingredients.

Then I added 3.5 cups of water, ground cumin, chili powder, some salt and about 2 T tomato paste and stirred it up before I put the lid on to let it cook.


After the rice was mostly cooked I added the chicken I had chopped up and the sauteed veggies. We also had frozen corn on the cob, which I cooked of course, and leftover guacamole and chips. Tomorrow I have to go to the store!! I dread it though...remember I said I wasn't going shopping with the kiddies again? I will be eating my words I guess. Maybe I can snap some pictures of the process if all goes well...no promises though :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My head is spinning about some of that. I don't think I know how to pronouce a few words there??

I'm so proud of you for working so hard at this healthy eating thing! Congrats - I am in awe!!

And keep the info coming - perhaps it will motivate me....
~Lori

Anonymous said...

I look forward to the continuation. This was a fun read. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are a scientist! I gave up on sourdough bread.. Maybe I can learn something from you too. :)

Blended in Texas said...

Wow! You are a little busy bee in the kitchen! I thought I loved to cook but I have never been as creative as your are! I'm sure your little family appreciates all you do in the kitchen for them. Maybe I could learn a thing or two from you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! This was so very helpful to see you make bread via pics! ;)

I was wondering what kind of wheat flour do you use or would reccomend? Also what brand of raw honey do you reccomend or where do you buy yours from?

Thanks so much, i just find your blog such a delight, an encouragement and such a blessing! =)

Momto4blessings =)

Anneatheart said...

Lori- I know it seems like a lot of weird stuff going on in my kitchen! But, I have been cooking this way for almost two years now and it's just second nature- weird at first though. I can't imagine not cooking this way now, I guess I could and I've prayed about it, but I feel like I should keep it up. I am in the kitchen a lot, but it doesn't seem like it since it's in short sessions :)