January 17, 2008

School

So what have I been doing the last couple of days? Well, Monday was kind of a rough day because I was trying to catch up on some cleaning and laundry, and had determined to not get frustrated with my children. That didn't work too well, and I just broke down and became rather depressed at my lack of self control. So I talked to my husband, and we both agreed that I needed to devote the first few hours of my day just to the girls. That way, the important things will get done and I won't get side tracked working on the house and end up feeling guilty later.

Tuesday we started 'school'. For the moment I haven't made a schedule or used a curriculum, just shooting from the hip to see how they do. They are doing very well, especially Alexa, surprise! She is just soaking it up. I am making sure to do Leiah's brain gym exercises and we work on numbers and letters, do puzzles and drawing, read several books and today we played another brain gym game where we make the kids into a 'sandwich'. (pillow, kid lays down, spread the kid with 'mayonnaise' put a blanket on top as 'cheese', then the other pillow, then you press down-supposedly that pressure is soothing and comforting) They really liked that.

So, I need to take some time to make up a schedule for us so I'm not wasting time trying to figure out what to do. I really want to teach Alexa to read, but am not sure how to go about it because she doesn't know how to recognize all the letters yet.

In other news, ha ha, we are going to make a trip to Upper Michigan the 15th of February. Did you know it gets -20 degrees there? What's the coldest it gets here, 20 degrees or more!!! I have very few long sleeved shirts much less clothes for that kind of weather! And of course all the stores are getting rid of winter items, so tonight my dh and I are going shopping to hunt down some warm clothes!

It also takes TWO DAYS to get there...two days in the CAR with all the girls. We've done it before and it was terrible!!!!!!! However, they are older now, and more able to stay focused on activities like coloring or something. Thank the Lord we have a DVD player built into the van.

Anyways, I must go and work on some sewing for awhile.

5 comments:

jesnicole said...

AWE, YOUR TRIP SOUNDS SO FUN. I'M SURE YOU GUYS WILL ALL ENJOY IT. WE STARTED BACK TO SCHOOL THIS WEEK, TOO! IT'S BEEN FUN, AND INTERESTING. I HAD PLANNED ON DYLAN BEING DONE WITH PRESCHOOL BY THE END OF DECEMBER, BUT OBVIOUSLY NOT ANYTHING HAPPENED WITH SCHOOL LAST MONTH. SO, HOPE IT GOES WELL WITH YOU!

Unknown said...

Upper Michigan - Hurray!!

We are kinda in the thumb, I'd say - and that weekend we will be right in the bay of the thumb (Bay City) for a pastor & wives retreat. I'm so excited!!

I wish you were coming my direction - I would *love* to meet ya IRL!!
~Lori

Thirdtimemomma said...

I have family in MI> :) As far as schooling is concerned I would suggest starting FLYlady style. One or two new "habits" at a time, for a week or a few days then add something new. Works for us every year. or after every break.

(I think "habits" are a CM thing too.)

Have fun in MI. and bundle up!

Cheryl said...

Letters~
Find a good phonics program that teaches the sounds of a letter in a song. Go over that, and the ABC song with the letter names also. Just one after the other. My Father's World has a good kindergarten program, and so does Weaver from Alpha Omega publications. However, you have to buy a seprate phonics program with Weaer. In MFW its included. Work on those basics first, everyday and she'll catch on quick. I also recommend the BOB book series for teaching reading. Once she has her sounds down, she'll enjoy them. You can get them at Barnes and Noble, or Borders. If you belong to a homeschool group, or can show proof of homeschooling, (ie letter of intent) you can get 20% educators discount as well. Good luck! sounds like its starting of good! The days will go smoother, and remember, its about your kids, their education, not about the house. Once you get them in a routine and schedule, it will go MUCH smoother!!
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're doing great in homeschool. I don't go with any specific curriculums for everything either. I find out how each of my children learn, then tailor their school personally to fit them.

I'm using some stuff from the authors of "The Well Trained Mind" - their language and history homeschool books.

I have some stuff from Modern Curriculum Press - math and spelling.

As for science, we're not following any official homeschool curriculum this year. We are simply reading a series of children's books called "I Wonder Why," and I make worksheets to go with each section we study. We also sometimes do experiments to suppliment the "lessons."

Much of the younger's homeschool is free stuff from http://www.donnayoung.org .

The great thing about homeschool, is you can use zero curriculums. You could just use books from the library, and/or the internet. There's so many ways. :-)