January 1, 2008

The New Year

pic from allposters.com

Last night dh and I stayed up waiting for the New Year. We got busy making a snack and missed it! I looked at the clock and it was 12:02- oops. People all around us were shooting fireworks though- that should have clued us in :)

Today my parents, grandmother and my sister and her family came to our house for New Year's Dinner. ('dinner' in the south is 'lunch') We had lots of food and had a good time. A cold front blew in and it's quite chilly. (it was pretty cold before that, but now it's in the 20's) It's hard to believe that tomorrow is Wednesday- feels like Saturday. I've been trying to think of what we'll do since I did most of my cleaning yesterday. I think we may take a trip to Wally World so the girls can spend their birthday money :) Speaking of which, my grandmother gave me this cool cake pan for Christmas. It's the kind with an insert in the middle, which you can fill with ice cream, whipped cream, pudding etc. and then ice the whole thing with the hidden layer inside. Cool. I will make one for Thursday, which is Leiah's 5th birthday, and let it be for Alexa too. I am going to do a vanilla cake (cake mix) with chocolate ice cream and a fresh strawberry frosting. They will be so surprised to see the ice cream inside the cake.

I am planning to do something I've never done before. I'm going to decorate for Winter. What does that mean? Well, since we never get any snow, and barely get cold weather for long, I thought we'd make lots of paper snowflakes and hang them around. I may also get some white sheers to hang in the living room, maybe get some blue and white fake flowers and I already have white Christmas lights in my kitchen. The girls and I will make the pinecone-peanut butter bird feeders this week and hang them in front of our windows. (hopefully the cat won't be waiting to pounce on them...) Alexa was rather sad today when the Christmas tree got put away, finally, so maybe 'decorating' for winter will perk her back up :)

I've rambled on enough. It seems that's just about all I do here. There truly is a lot more on my mind, much more insightful, but my thoughts are too scattered to focus on it. Another time, another day.

Happy New Year everyone!

4 comments:

Donna(mom24boyz) said...

Hi! I read your comment on Biblical Womanhood regarding the Supermarket Savings 101--I bought it from her when it first came out for a really great price (I did not pay full price) I too live in an area that does not really double coupons, plus our paper does not give us the same ones that most people seem to get. We even get jipped by Proctor & Gamble, they will publish ads in our circulars like for Covergirl--but we just get the ad and not the coupon. (I have complained to them about his unfairness)

Anyway, I still saved using her techniques. She is not all about coupons--she is more about using menu planning, and buying just what you need for your menu week by week--In fact she mostly shops at Aldis and they don't take coupons-I use to plan menus for two weeks but I still spent more because I always ran out of something before two weeks were up.

So going by a week by week plan works much better. I have saved a ton since reading her ebooks-do you have a CVS?? Her CVS tips have really helped me--be sure and check out her other site www.moneysavingmom.com for tips on that!

Hope this helps you in deciding whether to buy her book or not (and I am not an affilate, just a mom offering another mom her opinion;)
take care
God Bless

Anonymous said...

Hello! I'm new to your blog ☺
Please post about how your cake turns out as I have been looking at those cake pans but just haven't taken the plunge and gotten one (too chicken it wouldn't work for me).

Blessings,
Beth

SarahDee said...

Hi, Jessica! I have sooo wanted one of those cake pans forever! Let me know how the cake turns out!

Anneatheart said...

Funny- I was just thinking that I would try real hard to take pictures of the cake making tomorrow- if I can find my camera that is :)

I'll do my best!